Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Image SPAM Increase?

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:36:46 -0400

Ken Connelly wrote:

Anything common about these messages that would help me find/identify them?

The only thing I've seen so far is that the X-mailer header
in all of them is Microsoft Outlook Express. Different versions
though. I wonder if this could be a sign the senders are BOTS.

Subject, return path, source IP address, image name, image
file, all vary.

I've attached a sample message and image. Don't know if it will
go through to the list.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer