Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: securely disposing of old backup tapes?

From: "Kenneth G. Arnold" <bkarnold () CBU EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:45:07 -0500

We use a tape demagnetizer by Garner Products to erase our backup tapes
before disposing of them.

http://www.garner-products.com/degmds5.htm

At 03:00 PM 7/22/2005, you wrote:
I was wondering if anybody has any policies and/or procedures in place for
securely disposing of old backup tapes?  Are there any known rules or
regulations for public universities or state entities regarding the
disposal of this backup media?  Does anybody have any recommendations for
products or procedures for destroying backup media? Any other thoughts
would also be helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Craig W Drake

Networking and Distributed Services