Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: securely disposing of old backup tapes?

From: "Bristol, Gary L." <gbristol () OU EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:39:26 -0500

I don't think your suppose to stand that close.

When I was associated with the DISA and the Air Force, I believe the
process was;

1. Deguass with a device such as you mention
2. Strip the tape off of the reel into a burn bag.
3. Take the burn bag to an incinerator and destroy.
        This last step usually required the presence of two people.

Each step is documented.