Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Assessment Requirements

From: Michael Grinnell <grinnell () AMERICAN EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:43:22 -0400

We chose to go with the following:

XP:
CCA Agent
IE6 (Needed for MSAS)
MS AntiSpyware (to prevent spyware and help clean the machine some in
prep for SP2)
SP2
Builtin firewall enabled, allow ping (Planning to support others as
time permits)
Automatic Updates enabled, using "Automatic" setting
Antivirus installed (one of CCA supported)
AV up to date (AV_ANY rule)

2000:
CA Agent
IE6 (Needed for MSAS)
MS AntiSpyware (to prevent spyware and help clean the machine some in
prep for SP2)
SP4
Automatic Updates enabled, using "Automatic" setting
Antivirus installed (one of CCA supported)
AV up to date (AV_ANY rule)

98/Me:
CA Agent
IE6 (Needed for MSAS)
98/Me Hotfixes (CCA built-in rule)
Antivirus installed (one of CCA supported)
AV up to date (AV_ANY rule)

Linux/Mac/Etc.
Nothing

Our philosophy on XP/2000 was that if they had autoupdates turned on,
then it was unnecessary to check for individual patches, as long as
they had SP2.  We may make exceptions for individual high-exposure
vulnerabilities though, and check for them specifically.

Michael Grinnell
Network Security Administrator
The American University
e-mail: grinnell () american edu