Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Screensaver Timeouts

From: Sherry Callahan <scallahan () KUMC EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:14:01 -0500

Our organization also has implemented a 15-minute timeout for
screensavers, based on NIST recommendations.  Good luck with
implementing this as a new policy, as this is one of those settings that
usually causes very loud screams from the user community.

Sherry Callahan
Director, Information Security
University of Kansas Medical Center
3901 Rainbow Blvd, MS 3024
Kansas City,  Kansas 66160
913-588-0966

Neal-Clonts () OUHSC EDU 9/13/2005 1:01 PM >>>
Fellow Security Professionals,

Our campus is looking at implementing a policy for screensaver
timeouts
and we are wondering if anyone else currently has this type of policy
in
place.
If you do have a policy on screensaver timeouts, how many minutes do
you
require before the screensaver is activated?

Neal Clonts, CISSP, CISA, MCP
Information Security Services
Office Phone: 405-271-2476, Option 2
Cell Phone: 405-255-2999