Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Screensaver Timeouts

From: "Penn, Blake" <pennb () UWW EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:30:19 -0500

Neal:

We recommend a 15 minute maximum timeout.  This is the same value as
specified in the draft NIST Windows XP Guidelines (NIST 800-68).  That being
said, we couldn't find any other NIST documents specifying anything more
specific than "a predetermined amount of time."

I would like to see specific times mentioned in guidance documents if anyone
else is aware of any.

Blake Penn, CISSP
Information Security Officer
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater