Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Screensaver Timeouts

From: Les Mitchell <mitchell () USQ EDU AU>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:15:07 +1000

Timeouts vary according to purpose and sensitivity, lecture theatres (1
hour plus), staff
desktop (10 minutes), student labs (PC restarts after 20 minutes of
inactivity). But
everyone has an opinion on this particular setting and it is not
consistently enforced.
Clients are encouraged to lock workstation when unattended, and staff
are advised to
consider the need for a clear desk policy in conjunction with their
specific duties.

This is something I was not initially aware of:

The default behaviour for Windows Media Player is to disable screen
savers. Setting
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Media
Player\Playback\Allow Screen Saver
can change this default.

Or, in the Player, on the Tools menu, click Options. On the Player tab,
clear the
Allow screen saver during playback check box.
Cheers

Les Mitchell

Manager, ICT Security
Information Technology Services
University of Southern Queensland
Toowoomba Queensland Australia 4350

Cheers

Setting the following Group Policy Object to 'enabled' allows the screen

saver to invoke as normal when Windows Media Player is active:

    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Media
Player\Playback\Allow Screen Saver

While this may not be a true bug, it is yet another example of poorly