Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Screensavers Timeouts

From: David Grisham <DGrisham () SALUD UNM EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:01:47 -0600

I can speak for UNM Hospitals and our health science center.  We are about to implement five minute
screen saver timeout on workstations that access EPHI.  Our workforce must also lock the workstation when they leave
the workstation unattended and they must log out of clinical systems at the end of their shift. As stated, we are going
to get grief no matter what we set.  However, we have workstation security component of HIPAA security to set our
standard.
 Cheers.-grish
Information Security Officer, UNM Hospitals

dtindall () SPU EDU 9/13/2005 12:23:38 PM >>>

Be ready to take some flack no matter what you decide..  We use group policy on our Windows domain for fac/staff
desktops to enforce the setting (no over-rides are allowed for the individual user).  We experimented with 30 minutes,
then settled at 2 hrs after some additional "user input."  We also encourage users to lock their systems whenever they
leave their desks.

It's not perfect, but seems to strike a reasonable balance.

--Dave

Dave Tindall
Asst VP for Technology Services (CIO)
Seattle Pacific University