Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Peer to Peer Blocking

From: Chris Fontaine <chris.fontaine () HUMBER CA>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:29:50 -0500

The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU> on Monday, March 7, 2005 at 11:21 AM -0500
wrote:
Our college has received Copyright warnings from the Recording Industry
concerning what they believe to be improper music downloads using 'peer to
peer' networks, such as BearShare, BitTorent, LineWire, Gnutella, KaZaA, etc.

Has anyone implemented a  'peer to peer' Blocking service to address this
issue?  Pros and Cons?  Or are there other solutions?

Ability is what you're capable of doing.
   Motivation determines what you do.
       Attitude determines how well you do it.
-Lee Holz

Jim Schug
Information Security Instructor
[ http://oncampus.matc.edu/infosec ] http://oncampus.matc.edu/infosec
Milwaukee Area Technical College
5555 West Highland Road, Mequon, WI 53092  USA
Phone: (262) 238-2267  ********** Participation and subscription information
for this EDUCAUSE Discussion Group discussion list can be found at
http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

We have placed a packeteer inline to "slow down" this type of traffic with
great success......

Chris Fontaine

"How is "education" supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I
learn something new,
 it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Like when I took that home
winemaking course,
 and I forgot how to drive...." - Homer Simpson
Chris Fontaine
Digital Information Protection & Security,

Humber College
Information & Technology Services
205 Humber College Blvd
Toronto, Ontario, Canada