Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Encrypting Data-in-Transit

From: "Drews, Jane E" <jane-drews () UIOWA EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:39:50 -0600

I asked our counsel a few months ago to advise and/or look for case law
regarding these email confidentiality banners.  (It was being suggested
at the time that we promote the use of them.)  Our legal counsel were
not able to find anything to support them being a legally binding
warning.   They said that banners only serve the purpose to indicate to
a recipient that the sender deems the content confidential, and is
asking them not to forward it, etc.    Encryption is a much better
indicator!  :-)

Jane Drews