Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Encrypting Data-in-Transit

From: Alan Amesbury <amesbury () OITSEC UMN EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:03:29 -0600

Valdis Kletnieks wrote:

[snip]

Based on what I'm actually seeing, many site's "Solution" is to just stick a
"This email may contain confidential and privileged information and if you're not
the intended recipient, you shouldn't read it" on everything that goes out,
confidential or not.  Unfortunately, this likely *is* the actual solution some
of these sites are using....

[snip]

I know of very, very few people who scroll to the bottom to check for
special handling instructions when first reading a message, so I fail to
understand why sites that use such disclaimers habitually place them at
the very END of every e-mail message.  To me it makes much more sense to
place it at the BEGINNING of every message, where unintended recipients
are more likely to read it FIRST, before reading any misdirected
"confidential and privileged information" that might accompany it.  An
even more effective approach (inasmuch as such disclaimers can be
labelled "effective") would be to place the disclaimer first,
immediately followed by several pages of blank lines, making it less
likely that "confidential and privileged information" will be visible
when a message is first displayed.  Recipients would have to scroll down
to view anything but the disclaimer.  As a side effect, the several
pages of blank lines would cause the disclaimer to function as a sort of
banner page, should the message be inadvertently printed somewhere where
"unintended recipients" could view it.

Of course, I also think that such an approach is sheer nonsense.  If
you're already slinging "confidential and privileged" data around in
plain-text e-mail, I think you've got problems that a simple disclaimer
is not going to adequately address.

--
Alan Amesbury
(not speaking for the) University of Minnesota