Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Encrypting Data-in-Transit

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:00:09 -0500

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:27:52 CST, Michael G Carr said:

Curious as to what everyone is using to encrypt "confidential" or
"restricted" data-in-transit that is being sent:

Based on what I'm actually seeing, many site's "Solution" is to just stick a
"This email may contain confidential and privileged information and if you're not
the intended recipient, you shouldn't read it" on everything that goes out,
confidential or not.  Unfortunately, this likely *is* the actual solution some
of these sites are using....

(Hand me that soapbox for a moment, will ya?)

Just as an aside for those people on this list that have legal eagles that
think blanket disclaimers are a good idea - mention to said legal eagles that
blindly putting such a disclaimer on *all* mail will likely come back to haunt
you when you try to actually use said disclaimer to prevent something from
being used against you - the opposing legal team will likely argue your site
has no *clue* which items actually contain sensitive information and are not
using anything resembling due care with the items that actually need it....

(I don't have a problem with disclaimers attached to individual mail that might
need it, and in fact have received such things from clued attourneys - in
connection with ongoing litigation.  I've received other stuff from the same
attourneys regarding the same litigation that had no sensitive info - and no
disclaimer.)

OK, who needs the soapbox next?