Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Allowing Student Laptops to Connect to School Network

From: Dean Johnson <dean.johnson () LETHBRIDGECOLLEGE AB CA>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:16:58 -0600

We allow students and faculty to connect their personal laptops to our
wireless and wired network. I also believe that this is our biggest
vulnerability to worm and virus problems...

We currently force all wireless users to authenticate to our LDAP. At that
point they only get access to the Internet (no Domain services). We use a
product from Vernier
<http://www.verniernetworks.com/products/integrated_system.php>  Networks
with these procedures
<http://www.lethbridgecollege.ab.ca/evolution/network_access.shtml> .

Laptops can connect in all classrooms and other "docking" spots. We are
moving all of these "unsecured" ports to a separate vlan that only has
Internet access (and I am contemplating the purchase of a separate ISP
agreement for this network).

We are in the process of replacing our Portal and this is where these types
of users can remotely (or locally) access their network files.

Good luck,

Dean Johnson

Lethbridge Community College