Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Allowing Student Laptops to Connect to School Network

From: Michelle Mueller <muellerm () MTMARY EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:16:25 -0500

We've been asked to come up with a proprosal for allowing students to
bring their personal laptops on campus and connect to our network.  At
best we're looking at simply Internet access.  At worst we're looking at
access to their network drive, printing, and wireless access.  Currently,
students need to log into a Microsoft domain on a school computer to get
their network drive, Internet access, and to print.

Do any of you have to provide Internet and/or network access to your
students personal computers?  How did you go about this?  What security
issues have you encountered?