Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Recent Gaobot event

From: "Gordon D. Wishon" <gwishon () ND EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 07:26:18 -0500

Is anyone else seeing any evidence of this on their campus?  Like Boston
College, we've been hit with this within the past two weeks, and at one
point the traffic generated by machines attempting to phone home seriously
affected our network performance.

Virus Steals Student Passwords: Boston College's campus network was hit by
a virus that forced computers to guess at passwords that would provide
access to other linked machines.
The Heights

Curiously, we've found little discussion of this elsewhere.

Gordon