Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recent Gaobot event

From: "Gordon D. Wishon" <gwishon () ND EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:28:17 -0500

Thanks, Morrow.  When we recognized what was going on, we crafted a set of
IDS rules to detect it and began applying our 'soft-disconnect' policy to
all infected hosts, effectively quarantining them until they're cleaned
up.  Cleaning the hosts is possible, but reinfection is still quite likely
as long as file and print sharing are enabled and weak (brute-forceable)
passwords are in place.

The interesting thing is that there have been almost no reports of a
widespread outbreak, which suggests the originator might be triggering
limited, but targeted (to specific address blocks), botnet
activities.  Most troubling, though, is that while detection and cleansing
is possible, prevention is difficult in environments where Windows file and
print sharing is essential and where desktop password practices are poor --
which describes far too many of our campus environments.

Gordon