Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recent Gaobot event

From: David Escalante <david.escalante () BC EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:53:29 -0500

FWIW, a couple extra details:

- if you look up the article, there are a couple points where the
student writing the article got very confused and got things wrong, so
don't believe everything in it

- we also found 2 new SDbot variants in the past couple weeks doing the
same thing, submitted them to our A/V vendor, and hopefully they'll be
in the new signature files soon if they aren't already (we have
supplemental files for them now)

- what troubles me about this is at least 3 new variants have displayed
this behavior, and the attacks on the domain controllers seem to have
been "cloaked" behind massive host and port scanning taking place from
other infected/bot'ed computers at the same time; on this basis I would
suggest that if you notice that bot'ed machines are doing something
aggressive on your campus, it would be wise to look a little deeper and
see if there's something else potentially more serious going on in the
background as well
--
Dave Escalante
Boston College

Gordon D. Wishon wrote:

Is anyone else seeing any evidence of this on their campus?  Like
Boston College, we've been hit with this within the past two weeks,
and at one point the traffic generated by machines attempting to phone
home seriously affected our network performance.

_Virus Steals Student Passwords:_ Boston College's campus network was
hit by a virus that forced computers to guess at passwords that would
provide access to other linked machines.
/The Heights/

Curiously, we've found little discussion of this elsewhere.

Gordon

EDUCAUSE Discussion Group discussion list can be found at
http://www.educause.edu/groups/.