Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question regarding Marketscore spyware

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:03:13 -0500

Same here - works for us.  We use Packeteer for the redirect, but same effect.

Brent Sweeny wrote:
Indiana University has written a good page on it too:
   see http://kb.indiana.edu/data/apnh.html
they did two things: redirect the DNS name resolutions for the marketscore
servers from campus users toward a security page that told them they'd been
owned and how to remove it.  also used netflow to identify the affected users
and made sure they were contacted.  I don't work for the security office so
don't know more details, but it seems to have been an effective and justified
approach.