Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Question regarding Marketscore spyware

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 10:12:51 -0500

Lutzen, Karl F. wrote:
I've been researching this a bit last night. Here are the IP's I've
found so far:

Web site:
66.119.41.71 www.marketscore.com

Proxy servers via port 8000:

66.119.33.134 proxy.ia3.marketscore.com
66.119.33.166 proxy.ia4.marketscore.com
66.119.33.198 proxy.ia5.marketscore.com
66.119.34.38  proxy.ia2.marketscore.com
170.224.224.101 no DNS match this morning
170.224.224.133 no DNS match this morning
170.224.224.69  no DNS match this morning

There are a bunch in the 216.246 netblock too.
I just started collecting this morning:
216.148.246.74
        244.77
        246.73
        241.71
        244.69
        246.71
        246.133
        246.137
        224.137
66.119.34.42
       34.32
       33.138
       33.139
       33.168
       41.76
170.224.224.73
        224.105

Doesn't look like an IP based block will be easy.
I noticed a few universities saying they are handling
it with DNS shenanigans.

Looks to me so far like both netsetter.com and
marketscore.com domains are involved with varying
hosts and subdomains.

An ngrep for an HTTP user agent of OSSProxy
provides interesting inventory results. Our Juniper
IDP Profiler inventories this for us but ngrep will
provide the same data. If you have the capability
to write IDP signatures, blocking traffic with
those user agent strings would seem to be a possible
blocking method for campus desktops. Looking for the
Marketscore certificate during SSL negotiations may
be another.

Interesting that the proxy-agent string is
"Proxy-agent: ManInTheMiddle-Proxy/1.0"
Borders on the illegal IMHO.

--
Gary Flynn