Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student paper "editorial" on robust passwords

From: Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:43:55 -0500

Unfortunately, applications are being developed even today which don't have
any password requirements, and don't have connections to other types of
shared authentication schemes (like LDAP, Kerberos).  These same
applications store passwords in clear text, and have no mechanism for
locking after N failed login attempts.  We just bought a system (to take
over for an in-house developed application which is being decommissioned
soon) that is exactly as I describe above, and the user won't be talked out
of it.  He needs his work done, and no other application does what he needs
(besides the one we're disposing - for financial reasons).