Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student paper "editorial" on robust passwords

From: "David Wall @ Yozons, Inc." <david.wall () YOZONS COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:49:39 -0700

The more robust the password policy, often the less secure the system becomes.  It is funny to see that the policy so
onerous, but they end with the note, " You can also help to protect your own identity by not giving your password away
to others."  Therein lies the rub.  And with such hard to remember passwords, you can be sure they'll be written down.
It's also funny that they remember the previous 10 passwords, but then don't require a user to change their password,
so users will never change their passwords.  The question I'd like to know is how they store those 10 passwords they've
remembered.  We'll probably find they are simply stored in the clear in the database <wink>

David