Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Bagle.j out

From: Iljun Kim <ij () INTERNET2 EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:09:36 -0500

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 06:46:43AM -0500, Jack Suess wrote:

and require my mail administrators to rename .exe and .zip attachments to
something that can't be auto-opened. This allows people to still transport
these but they have to go through a extra step of saving these as a
different name and opening the application to read these. Usually those
steps provide the "thinking pause" necessary to realize what is legit or
not.

Is there any concern about invalidating pgp/smime signed messages by
altering the name of attachments?  I would prefer not to alter the
body of email messages if it can be avoided and I'd like know how
others think.

Thanks.

--IJ.