Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Bagle.j out

From: James Morris <jmorris () CAC WASHINGTON EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:22:07 -0800

We're doing it here at the University of Washington currently.  All .zip and
.exe attachments are being dropped at our gateways and we're adding text to
the body of any such message stating why.  I expected a fairly hefty
backlash, but so far we've only seen a small handful (<10) reports of
adverse impact and they were all easily worked around.  Looking at logs, the
collateral damage is incredibly low.

We haven't yet decided when the block will be dropped.  We're currently
trying to decide how we want to deal with attachments long term and waiting
for the AV vendors to sort themselves out.

-James
--James Morris-----------------------Systems Engineer-------------------
University of Washington             Networks and Distributed Computing
4545 15 AV NE / Box 354841           Computing & Communications
Seattle, WA  98105                                    fax (206) 685-4045
E-mail: jmorris () cac washington edu                  voice (206) 221-3848