Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Bagle.j out

From: Matthew Dalton <Matthew.Dalton () ROCHESTER EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:55:02 -0500

For that matter, what is to keep the message from stating:

A third party service employed by companyX has determined that your system is infected.  Click (hyperlink) to install
the patch.  Since this works by social engineering, the payload doesn't necessarily have to come with the message.
Blocking attachments would do nothing for that.  The sender could just open an arbirary port for the connections.  This
wouldn't be that much of a leap from the back doors already installed.

--
|Matthew Dalton                     |Phone: (585)273-1721                |
|ITS Security Group                 |Email: Matthew.Dalton () rochester edu |