Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Bagle.j out

From: Marty Hoag <Marty.Hoag () NDSU NODAK EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:40:21 -0600

   The thing I found so chilling was how convincing the
e-mail message was. It used the domain name in the body
of the text, etc. It almost had me fooled and I was so
proud of the non-IT person who was suspicious. Luckily
she worked in the "xyzcenter.org" and knew this didn't
look right.

   I'll try pasting it in here but change the domain to
protect the innocent. I've also reflowed the lines
since they got wrapped funny when I pasted it in.
I thought it was especially thorough to include a
web address to match the user's domain.

   By the way, McAfee seems to have an extra.dat
now at http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_101071.htm .
There are other messages too of course.

   Marty

--- Sample believed to be Bagle.j (folded to fit) ---