Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Snort IDS Frontends

From: Gerry Sneeringer <sneeri () UMD EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:20:45 -0400

My experience at Maryland mirror Tim's.  We haven't played with
SnortCenter yet, but do utilize Snort w/ MySQL and ACID.  In our
case, it's running on FreeBSD 5.1.

We have the SQL/Web server running on a dual-Xeon box with 1/2GB
of memory.  We're religious about clearing alerts out of the
database before they build up and avoid excessively chatty
signatures.  We've been very happy with the performance, the
flexibility, and the price!

-Gerry