Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Snort IDS Frontends

From: "Crawford, Charles D" <ccrawf () KU EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:20:13 -0500

Hello List,

I know this has been a hot item on many listservs lately but I am interested
to hear what other Institutions are using for front ends on Snort.

We have tried ACID, PureSecure, Applied Watch.  All have there pro's and
cons.

ACID would be great if it weren't so slow. (Free is appealling, but doesn't
seem scalable, we had over a 500,000 records in our database and it took
over 2 minutes a wack on the mouse to get anything back)

PureSecure looks good --- budgets/state/money/hmmm might be a tough one to
sell.

Applied Watch --- Not sure How i felt about it...Pretty expensive

Any feedback would be excellent.

thanks

Charles Crawford
IT Security Officer