Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: w00t 08

From: dan () geer org
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 22:44:11 -0400

Dean Pierce writes:
-+-----------------
 | Bob gains references, which elevates his position at
 | the university. Alice's PhD student gets published,
 | which elevates her position. Carol gets her PhD.

I was hanging around the Harvard Medical School
in the 1970s, where a Famous Lab Director named
Eugene Braunwald taxed every paper coming out
of his lab with the usual tax -- list him (the
lab director) as a co-author if you want to
publish.

John Darsee, one of his, was caught spectacularly
making up data (or was it caught making up
spectacular data...).  When bunches of Darsee's
published papers had to be recalled, Braunwald
took a hit, too.  Since at that time Braunwald's
bibliography was over 800 papers (precisely due
to the authorship tax), many lab rats concluded
that there is a God.

--dan

http://members.aol.com/quentncree/lehrer/lobachev.htm