Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: w00t 08

From: root <root_ () fibertel com ar>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 23:30:52 -0300

Dave Aitel wrote:
These are not the papers you're looking for.
http://www.usenix.org/event/woot08/tech/full_papers/

Seriously, there's nothing there to scare an network offense
professional. I don't think it's w00t's fault, either. I think the
research communities are diverging into public and private, as this
research gets more expensive to do.

USENIX may not be the place for academic treatment of offensive security
research. A friend of mine wonders if there's any future for academic
treatment of the subject at all. He wonder's wistfully of course, since
he likes academia.

Anyways, either be scary or be silly. There's no middle ground here.
It's a fundamental truth in this field: You're either in, or you're out.

-dave

Commercial security conferences don't have great academic value because
they are not peer reviewed (well, not reviewed by academic people) and
there are other much important academic journals like ieee, etc. that in
theory don't accept money in exchange for the publication of an article.

Believe me, i had a hard time convincing my thesis advisor of the
importance of being a speaker on Blackhat...

Anyway, cryptography and cryptanalysis (offensive or not) is certainly
dominated by academia, and I don't see that changing on the future.