Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: w00t 08

From: Jon Oberheide <jon () oberheide org>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 15:01:40 -0400

Having just gotten back from WOOT and being a self-loathing academic who
thinks that a significant portion of academic security research is
garbage, I have to both agree and disagree.

Yes, there is a huge gap between the public and private research
communities.  This division was very apparent at WOOT this year.  There
was a sea of blank stares and misguided questions during Charlie's JS
presentation and a bunch of confused faces when we were discussing
"Dowd-weeks" as a security assurance metric.  Simply put, if you want to
filter down the proceedings to the interesting presentations, a simple
`grep -v University` of the author institutions is sufficient.

But I disagree with the "in or out" approach.  WOOT certainly has a
difficult task: it only attracted a low 20-some submissions this year,
is scheduled right next to BH USA, and lacks any incentive for private
researchers to bring their work into the USENIX arena, just to name a
few of the problems.

However, if WOOT can narrow that gap between the public and private
communities ever so slightly (or even decrease the rate of the gap
widening), or convince 30-some academics that they are so far behind the
curve of offensive research, then I think it has achieved its goals.

Regards,
Jon Oberheide