Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: We got owned by the Chinese and didn't even get a "lessons learned"

From: Nicolas RUFF <nruff () security-labs org>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 11:38:26 +0200

Oh, come on! And what if the malware exploits some kernel bug (we all
have seen several such bugs last year, haven't we)? Obviously running as
privilege user will not help in this case (although it's a very good
idea indeed).

Of course there is always the possibility of a targeted, 0day, kernel
attack through email (BTW, I'm eager to see the first one).

My point was that attackers:
- were able to reverse MSO.DLL (wow :)
- were able to find a reliably exploitable flaw in there
- made a "stealth" shellcode, silently repairing the Word document
- started a targeted attack, using legible document names and email
addresses

... and they used "c:\~.exe" instead of "%TEMP%\~.exe" at the end.

Chinese stuff breaks too easily :)

As some colleague pointed out, the best HIPS ever should restrict
program execution to "%ProgramFiles%" and "%SystemRoot%" (excluding
"%temp%" and "%tmp%" maybe). Combined with a low privilege user, I don't
think any existing spyware/malware/otherware would execute flawlessly
with such restrictions.

Regards,
- Nicolas RUFF