Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: We got owned by the Chinese and didn't even get a "lessons learned"

From: "val smith" <mvalsmith () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 10:40:33 -0600

Ive dealt with this problem extensively on networks that have 1000's of
users, various IDS, firewalls, automated patching systems, configuration
management, well defined policies, etc. In short, decently managed
enterprise environments.

They constantly get owned and its usually via the user. Many people on this
list know how to get past IDS, firewalls, etc. and so do the bad guys.
Looking at the politics, cost/benefits analysis, training, etc. what I have
seen is that you pretty much can't avoid being seriously hacked if you are
one of these high profile places.

So whats the answer then? Well one flaw ive seen in these types of networks
is the lack of data segregation. They often have their accounting in the
same network as their research info as their web intranet as their
development environment. So what happens is that when one machine gets
penetrated, everything falls.

The places I have seen do it right (albeit painful) are those that have
severe segregation of information functions. For example one place has a
network with no connection to the internet. Then they have internet stations
behind locked doors that you can sign up to use for internet research /
communications on a time share style basis. Another place went so far as to
have an internet "building" where there were basically tons of terminals
with inet access. So you did your real work on a closed network and went to
a different building to surf the web. There were non-network methods for
transfering data from one to the other which were slow but functional.

Now this would make alot of our jobs super inefficient but depending on your
profile and risks maybe this is a partial answer for these types of
organizations.

V.