Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: We got owned by the Chinese and didn't even get a "lessons learned"

From: Steve Wilson <S.Wilson () eris qinetiq com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 15:55:29 +0100

</delurk>

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 12:42, Dave Aitel wrote:

I was talking to an anonymous source yesterday at a large government
organization

<snip>

    * prevent the W32.backdoor.whatever from running or connecting
      outbound, which requires that the attacker not use a known trojan
      or listening post (a five minute change)

So essentially, the only part of network security that protected you
against this was a human component. Some random dude got suspicious and
picked it up. Perhaps this was the thousandth time it was used. It
certainly wasn't the first.

A large government organisation with no egress firewalling policy? No
restrictive and monitored outbound proxies? What sort of a perimeter is
that[1]?

Please tell me that this isn't a network hosting any classified material...

Protecting networks against worms is a valuable thing. But it's not
security, and I think events like this are a wake up call to what the
technology you've deployed actually can do.

OK, I'm a pedant - so I can't let that slip by. If protecting networks against
worms (or even deliberate targetted attacks) isn 't security, what is it? ;-p

Re: deployed technology - if you've got firewalls to block incoming stuff -
why not also use them to block outgoing traffic? What, you "trust" users??
What a strange concept... ;-)

</relurk>

Cheers,

Steve.

[1] Not a very good one, obviously. ;-p

--
Steve Wilson
Senior Security Consultant
QinetiQ, St Andrews Road
Malvern,  WR14 3PS
Tel: (01684 89) 4153
Fax: (01684 89) 7417
'The views expressed herein are entirely those of the writer and do not
represent the views, policy or understanding of any other person or
official body.'
'The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and is intended solely for the intended
recipient(s).  For those other than the intended recipient any
disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be
taken in reliance on such information is prohibited and may be
unlawful.'