Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Re: Hacking: As American as Apple Cider

From: "Dustin D. Trammell" <dtrammell () sipera com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:30:54 -0500

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 01:16 +0100, Dinis Cruz wrote:
 E) "Create tools (and services) that help in the creating of secure
run-time environments (with Default-Deny and Enumerating goodnesss)".
With today's complex systems we need help to process the information and
to simplify that complexly. For example a tool that would remove from
Windows all files that are not required to execute a particular function
(if a server is only acting as a web server why does it need to have all
the other functionality in there?)

The closest thing I've seen to this (for windows) would be XPY:
http://xpy.whyeye.org/

 F) "Slow down the creation of new products/features/functionality and
focus on getting the ones that we have right" - What we need today is to
have a secure, reliable, robust, non-exploitable and
'no-patches-required' version of what we have today. We don't need a new
complex system which will bring more vulnerabilities and who nobody will
really understand (when we already have solutions today that we almost
understand)

Try telling that to anyone who works in sales/marketing, and you'll find
that while that may be what we need today, what we needed YESTERDAY was
the new bell/whistle/widget.  And guess what department brings in the
revenue?  Yea.

--
Dustin D. Trammell
Vulnerability Researcher