Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Hacking: As American as Apple Cider

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 16:49:44 -0400

I don't think it's either idiotic or profound, really.  The notion that
there's no technical advantage to hiring 'n0t0ri0uz hax0rz' and buying
exploits seems fairly obvious to me.  But it does get you trade press and
that gets you money, so lots of netsec product hucksters do it.

What's really happening, though, is corporations are grabbing for the same
kind of notoriety that individual hackers sought a decade ago (and still
seek today, especially with cushy R&D jobs and book deals at the end of the
rainbow). And for what?  My security still sucks, their products still suck,
and some venture capitalist has a new Porsche.  Now THAT'S as American as
Apple Pie.

PaulM