Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Re: Hacking: As American as Apple Cider

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 07:01:20 +0200

4) "Hacking is Cool"

This section is the only one that I don't really agree with Marcus, and I think the reason is because I have a different definition of Hacking.

For me Hacking is a combination of: learning, research, solving-puzzles, perseverance, doing what is perceived to be impossible, advancing the understating of a particular problem, pushing the boundaries, thinking outside of the box, being creative, reverse engineer a system, etc....

... in a single work Hacking = Creating (as in Inventing).

Hacking for me is also what most Artists, Scientists and Engineers do. This (I believe) is the original definition of hacking before it got hijacked by the Media who define Hacking as criminal activity.

Has anyone ever hacked real life?

You know what I'm talking about and it is not social engineering nor reversing. Someone should collect some of these cool funny stories or "pranks" that always seem to be around us, put them in a book, and release.

        Gadi.

--
Available for consulting:
+972-50-5428610 / ge () linuxbox org.