Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Lynn / Cisco shellcode

From: Michael J Freeman <mfreeman451 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:46:12 -0700 (PDT)

Of course you won't wait around, someone else might
publish it first and steal all the credit.

It makes sense in most cases for researchers to not
publish vulnerabilities until a patch is out. I think
people should do like what eEye does, you have a
webpage saying "this is pending" or you release "half"
an advisory discussing the problem but not giving away
enough details. badpack3t most recently gave the
perfect example of this, putting out a screenshot of a
vulnerability in RDP. It certainly gained a lot of
attention and put a fire under Microsoft's butt,
without giving away the crown jewels.

2cents.

--- Dennis Cox <dcox () tippingpoint com> wrote:

I'm going to respond to myself - because I didn't
feel I was clear. My point is if a vulnerability is
so severe and the company who's product has the
vulnerability takes an unreasonable amount of time
to resolve the issue what route can one take? In
this case Cisco announced that it will issue the
security bulletin tomorrow I believe. That's only
because Mr. Lynn forced their hand. I don't want
ISS, iDefense or heck my company sitting on a
vulnerability for a year or two just to appease some
company. There has to be some other alternative. The
security companies don't have one - their lawyers
force them to keep quiet would be my guess.

One could go anonymous of course but that's scary in
many regards - something has to have teeth.

So does that mean that perhaps the government (or a
government type agency (e.g. UN)) should become a
notification point for vulnerabilities in >the
future? I realize it's got ton's of downsides (too
numerous to list) but the upside is pressure. They
can put ton's of pressure on Cisco and >Oracle (700
day's was mentioned before which is an ungodly
amount of time) to fix the vulnerability by denying
government purchases of that >vendors equipment
until such a time as the vulnerability is resolved.