Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Lynn / Cisco shellcode

From: "Dennis Cox" <dcox () tippingpoint com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:50:13 -0500

Rodney brings up a good point. I've heard a number of items regarding the government being involved etc,etc. I really
don't buy it personally. Meaning I don't think the government was the one's that told Cisco to suppress the
information. Maybe they did - but I just don't buy into a lot of conspiracy theories personally. I've meet too many
government employees and the majority of the them just can't move that quickly and aren't good at keeping secrets :)
Cisco may have called them...

So does that mean that perhaps the government (or a government type agency (e.g. UN)) should become a notification
point for vulnerabilities in the future? I realize it's got ton's of downsides (too numerous to list) but the upside is
pressure. They can put ton's of pressure on Cisco and Oracle (700 day's was mentioned before which is an ungodly amount
of time) to fix the vulnerability by denying government purchases of that vendors equipment until such a time as the
vulnerability is resolved.

I realize this is a bit taboo - and I don't mean it that way but in reality maybe just a note saying "Cisco's being a
bad boy regarding security" can go a long way to the right person somewhere.