Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Lynn / Cisco shellcode

From: surreal () delusory org
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:50:25 -0700

Thor Larholm wrote:
Thanks for the clarification :)

No prob. This kinda thing gets me irrationally worked up. <shrug>

 Perhaps you can clarify this as well:
 Cisco just released a security advisory (http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-sa-20050729-ipv6.shtml) which
patches a code execution vulnerability in pretty much all IOS systems. They credit Michael Lynn for disclosing this
vulnerability at Blackhat, before the patch was created.

Mike stated that the vuln that he was exploiting had been patched in
April of this year, and Cisco has pulled all the older, vulnerable
downloads of IOS from their site. The slides that have been posted to
various spots are the pre-shit-hitting-the-fan version. The ones he
showed didn't have the ISS logo, and he'd redacted addresses on several
of the pages with black smudges. He said that he'd also removed some of
the slides.

 Did Lynn disclose an unpatched IOS vulnerability during his presentation?
I'd have to say "no", but I'm no IOS hacker.

Surreal