Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Britney and Kevin are Chaotic

From: joanna <joanna () invisiblethings org>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 19:47:07 +0200

El Nahual wrote:
As soon as attacker tries to execute the BDs problem arises, se46 is right
on kernel, pull it down kernel goes with it, so no binaries can actually run
at all without the signature (a sha-1 signature with revocation on line)

I know that if you probably get stuck with lets say syscall proxy, hey it
doesn't touch the HD CIS cant stop it, as soon as you DL shit you have a
problem since you have to exec(), no exec for unsigned binaries you would
have to patch a memory segment and have it run by a jmp (we check threads
too)

ok, let me clarify then:
1) attacker exploits a bug in a legitimate process
2) shellcode "downloads" the rootkit, which means:
 a) it allocates some memory in the space of exploited process
 b) it "downloads" (for e.g. via the same socket the exploit was sent)
special position independent code, which happens to be "rootkit installer"
 c) jmp's to this rootkit installer code
3) now the rootkit installer does one of two things
 a) subverts kernel via \Device\PhysicalMemory. the only interesting
part here is physical 2 linear address translation.
 b) exploits some kernel BOv; kernel subverting is done by shellcode
used in exploiting the kernel bug.

Now the kernel was subverted! :o

having our own code in the kernel means that we can also have a special
kernel level backdoor too (or some covert channel) - no need to exec()
BDs. and if we really would like to exec() something (good old cmd.exe
for e.g.) there are few ways for doing this from within kernel mode,
without the need of ZwCreateProcess()...

My question is how can you stop/detect this kind of scenario?

Windows policies restriccions do it by binary and path, we do it by changes

what do you mean by "do it by changes"?

joanna.