Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Britney and Kevin are Chaotic

From: Rodney Thayer <rodney () canola-jones com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 10:07:07 -0700

Much as I'd rather write about soft porn and brittany giving lap dances, I thought I'd respond to the other part of this post ;-)

Dave Aitel wrote:
Five days of delving into the unholy pits of Microsoft RPC will turn anyone into a black ghost of themselves - coughing, febrile, an autistic primitive muttering inanities.

That's the best description of MSRPC I've seen. You have a future career writing IETF drafts, I'm sure.

Then again, the IDS industry is the deformed little brother of the information security industry.

I think that's not entirely true. I think IDS has a bad name because someone found the proper style knee-pads to use with Gartner to get them to declare it a problem, thus yet again inducing the GLE (Gartner Lemming Effect.)

I think IDS are like smoke detectors. Everyone thinks they're lame and irrelevant because they do nothing but warn you that your other systems have failed. Notice that with smoke detectors, when the house down the street burns down and kills a small child, there's a line out the door and around the corner at the local building supply shop to buy new smoke detectors.

Then again writing filters to filter on security tools is some sort of semi-narcissistic self-indulgent waste of time that I'm not thrilled any vendor would charge money to deliver. Make the damn dog bark when the bad guys are around, not when the dog trainer is around.