Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Software patents ...

From: Peter Busser <busser () m-privacy de>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:55:49 +0100

On Monday 22 November 2004 13:42, Dave Aitel wrote:
This is a bit out of yacc.py . So in Python, the IsNot operator is
written "not id()". This directly violates their first claim, and
pre-dates it, and is public, and as far as I know, renders it invalid.
But I think they clearly showed their strategy here. Just patent
anything small that would be required to maintain compatability. I think
Mono is screwed for this reason. Gnome should have bet on a Python tool
chain.

It doesn't matter whether a patent holds or not. At the time the court decides
that it doesn't hold, you're bankrupt. If not, then there is always a bunch
of other patents you can be sued on until you're bankrupt.

This article is a nice read:
http://www.forbes.com/asap/2002/0624/044.html

Groetjes,
Peter.