Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Software patents ...

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:48:47 +0200

I've googled around and not found any obvious published version
of the alleged list of allegedly 228 (or 229?) patents.  I've also
asked around a bit and not heard of anyone else who's seen the list.

It somewhat makes sense that it is no-where to be found. I remember a story where someone else claimed that BSD was using original "unix" code (both shall remain nameless until I find a link or someone else who remembers more).

Basically, they looked into the allegations, and it ended up they were using ~four files (I think) from the "original".

They simply re-wrote those files and were over with it.

I suppose the same could theoretically happen with the open source community, and then this list of patents wouldn't be worth much.

        Gadi.