Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: anonymized

From: "Mike Bailey" <mike.bailey () sunbladesecurity com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:36:14 -0400

I think it's perfectly valid to fault these guys.  Just
because they are marketing a product and have a web site and
P-R folks is no reason I have to assume they are selling a
product that works.  There's no real data to suggest their
product works, that I noticed.

Security by obscurity is a bad thing.

VERY TRUE! I never said it worked or defended it. My comments are that
business doesn't care about working or not as long as it sells and they'll
use whatever tactic they can to get the sales.  I'm just saying that the
hype "may" embarrass and upset the devs as much as anyone else and unless
they're too full of themselves to know better.

Yeah and drug company execs would market horse poop in pill
form if they could convince 60 year old guys it would make
them better with their
22 year old dates.  That's why you want it tested, for some
value of tested.  (P.s. buying Canvas and using that for
testing would be a fine example.)

TRUE AGAIN! It's not much to ask. At least it's an overt effort to
demonstrate they care. They should send a couple of people to class to learn
how to use the tools as well.  Still not asking very much..

There is.  It's called the technical publications media.  I
do reviews for them.  Lots of other people do too.  We try to
document crap when it's crap.

I mean the standardized format. Not just "a" review but a buyers guide
system that lists how the performance goes over time using the same criteria
for all products. I know it's easier to say than do with software revisions
new products, obscuring function with form and so on..