Dailydave mailing list archives

anonymized

From: "Mike Bailey" <mike.bailey () sunbladesecurity com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:54:40 -0400

Just playing devils advocate here,

I don't think we should fault these guys 100%, They are trying something at
least. Do some have too big an ego? Most certainly, but anytime you try to
grow a business on a large scale you have to have business people and they
rely on marketing like this. It's a painful fact but marketing companies are
really just civilian PSYOPS battalions wearing cute little outfits and
making pretty little advertising copy.   Government contractors have the
same people only they pay people to scour for and write convincing contract
proposals to the Gov instead of pretty ads in magazines.

If I could write a HIPS software and get it deployed tactically ala JWICS
and JDISS where I didn't have to worry about getting attacked from the
internet or anywhere else our execs would certainly want to market that as
our software being used to protect troops and the nation with comments like
it never being broken in X years of production whether I the developer
intended it to be presented that way or not.

There should be a consumer reports division for security technology. I'm
sounding too much like I'm defending people I don't like anyway so I'll shut
up now.

To reiterate what Rodney said, just because companies like iDefense
and Fatelabs have government contracts doesn't make them a viable
security company. All too often, it ends up being more hype than
product especially when the marketing team starts saying they have a
government contract [ most likely with the Department of Education ]
but because of an NDA they can't say who it is. Also for those of us
out there who have ever audited a government network, lets remember
that in most cases the network is wide open otherwise how would have
people like Marc "I'm gonna roll you motherf*cker"
Maiffret or Chris "I cat manpages into a book for OReilly"
McNab got their start into this lucrative security business.

But putting flames aside, I'm highly critical of "black box"
or closed source technologies that provide security. If they really
want to get some recognition, they should at the very least explain
some of the technical underpinnings of the tool because for all we
know it could be Windows port of Grsecurity PRODUCT or PaX. Just my
two cents.

Cheers