Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: anonymized

From: Rodney Thayer <rodney () canola-jones com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:07:29 -0700

At 06:06 PM 8/17/2004 -0400, you wrote:

it's my understanding that it's not so important that they brute forced
SHA-0, but
it's that they supposedly did it in MUCH, MUCH less computations than
expected.

it should take you like 2^80 tries find a collision, but they
supposedly did it in like
2^51 by using some smarts.

or something like that.  IANAM

This is correct, I believe.  In all these discussions
there is an implied "within much less than the astronomical
and therefore unrealisic brute force time".

P.s the current update, from my spies at the conference, is that
SHA-1 isn't going to be broken.  Not sure right now.  MD-5 is
still looking scruffy.

So maybe we get to talk about real crypto attacks in a week.  Goodie!