Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Hackers and Painters

From: Matt Hargett <matt () use net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:34:10 +0000

Rodney Thayer wrote:
At 06:40 PM 9/21/2004 -0400, Sinan Eren wrote:

i would consider python as an "artwork" and Guido as the "maker".

I think 'art' and 'maker' are not appropriate together.  a maker
builds brick walls.  a creator creates art.

and if they use 'hacker' not as a security thing I think
that's stupid.  it was cute in the 70's when people around MIT
used 'hacker' and 'hack' and there were seven different spellings
of 'nerd' but that's wrong now.

Jesus tap-dancing christ, what a dumb topic. But I must chime in, of course.

Art is in the eye of the beholder. Someone could crap out some code over a weekend with no sleep, and in their mind they are suffering for their art. It is art to them. I would imagine that not a lot of people considered Brillo boxes to be art before Mr. Warhol presented them as such. I suppose it's who the joke is on and whether or not you fall for it yourself.

This reminds me of something I heard Damon Albarn say once, "I don't see why people take things so seriously -- it is just pop music, after all."