Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Hackers and Painters

From: "Halvar Flake" <HalVar () gmx de>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 01:54:31 +0200 (MEST)

Computer folks not only have math envy, we also have art envy. :-)

We want to define code as art, and take as justification that poetry
is an expression of thought and art, and as such, code, which is an
expression of thought, is art as well.

Most poetry, though, is not art, just bad poetry. And there we arrive
at the issue that all the artists are fighting over: What is art ?

Frankly, I have decided not to care. And after wasting two days on
some obscure graph stuff and killing some Merlot in front of a large
bit of code tonight, I think that is a darn good decision.

I don't care if code is art. I don't care if code is math. I like code,
and I like to code. Can't we just settle for "coders" instead of
"artists", "makers", "scientists" or whatever else ?

Cheers,
Halvar

--
+++ GMX DSL Premiumtarife 3 Monate gratis* + WLAN-Router 0,- EUR* +++
Clevere DSL-Nutzer wechseln jetzt zu GMX: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl