Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Security Expert Certificates

From: Darryl Luff <darryl () snakegully nu>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 10:06:31 +0800

Dave Aitel wrote:

My personal opinion is that they're not worth what you pay for them.
While some employers do value them, I think if you are the type of
person who would get one, you're better off having something like "Can
write exploits" on your resume instead. I also know some employers who
either ignore them completely, or count them against you - and you can
read the old CISSP or GIAC "papers" to see why.

They used to be worth something if you worked for a company that does contracted security work, because marketers had a long list of qualifications they could put on bids, to impress the admin and management types evaluating the bids at the customer end. But these days people are less impressed with certifications and want to see lots of experience that's directly applicable to the current task.

I'm not so sure about the value of "can write exploits" either. At least in Australia, this still translates in a lot of peoples minds to "15 year-old hacker". People don't see how experience writing exploits directly applies to getting their gateway through the government-specified gateway certification, or whatever else they are trying to achieve. Unless you're applying for a job at a security research organisation I guess!