Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Dreaming of Summer

From: Sean Batt <sean () coombs anu edu au>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 15:43:57 +1100 (EST)

Hello Daves et al,

Forgive me for asking a daft question; I'm not a security professional,
just a refugee from Full-Disclosure.

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, David Maynor wrote:
I think the shot at troajning a debian package like ssh is worth a local
root, this is of course if i was just intrested in blackhat activity.
For whitehat i would much rather keep the 0day for pentesting purposes.

I can't quite understand how a whitehat would use a 0day. Isn't a whitehat
ethically bound to fix or report vulnerabilities?

Say a WH is contracted to do pentesting, she wanders into an environment
secured against known vulnerabilities, uses a 0day and then what does she
report? "You're still vulnerable! I got in. Here's proof. Can't tell you
how I did it: proprietary tools, trade secrets, etc etc."

Am I being naive thinking that ethical stance is the difference between
black and white hats? I guess I'm missing something (probably a lot) about
the utility of 0days and the practice of penetration testing and if anyone
can comment on that I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

Sean
--